Burnt Power Connectors
A combination of high current draw and poor contact between male and female electrical connectors results in excessive heat. This results in a drop of voltage drop and when the heat becomes comes intense enough, melted connectors and fire. In addition to the risk of fire, the voltage drop can seriously damage electrical components and appliances.
Many people assume this condition is caused by an overload on the power supply. All RVs should be equipped with a circuit breaker and another should be installed on the power pedestal. An overload needs to trip only one of these and the power supply is interrupted.
Overheating can occur when less than the full 30 or 50 amps, the system is designed for, is being drawn. When the connection between the male and female electrical connectors is loose or corroded, heat is generated, causing the female terminal to expand further, generating even more heat. This results in a runaway situation that ends in fire, melted connections or both.